IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING WORD LIMIT REQUIREMENTS:
Please note that each and every assignment has its own word limit.
This assignment should be between 1000 and 1100 words. (The List of References should not be included in the word count.)
If you exceed the word limit on an assignment or if you do not meet the lower limit, your assignment will likely be returned to you for revision. There will be a 10% loss of your score for an assignment that had to be revised because the original version exceeded or failed to meet the word limit.
Emergency Preparedness Plan for a fictitious community.
- You have been hired as the first emergency manager of a small town in the Midwest. The town is located in a tornado-prone area. Within the town is a large chemical factory, where the majority of the townspeople work. There is a large immigrant population. English is a second language to many of the immigrants, and some do not speak English at all.
- There is also a large elderly population and a deaf community.
- Alongside the town runs a large river that has been known to flood. A single bridge spans the river. The city has a small regional airport located to the west. A freight railway runs on the edge of town that often carries hazardous waste containers from the chemical plant.
- The town has a city council, a mayor, one fire department, one police department, and a small hospital. The town’s economy is modest and cannot afford large investments or expensive upgrades to its infrastructure or current emergency response system.
Application Assignment: Financing and Implementing Mitigation Strategies
One of the challenges local and state governments face in implanting mitigation strategies is finding a way to pay for them. It is one thing to identify the risk of potential structural failures, but quite another to actually mitigate that risk.
In this assignment, you adopt the perspective of the emergency manager in your community (choose a relatively small community, not a large metropolitan city such as Washington D.C. or New York City where the mitigation issues are very large scale in nature). If you live in one of these cities, please contact the Instructor about an appropriate community to use in lieu of either of these two cities. Research emergency mitigation strategies that have been or might be deployed in your community. Then think about the funding sources related to emergency mitigation strategies in your community. Finally, consider challenges related to funding for emergency mitigation strategies.
THE ASSIGNMENT THIS WEEK IS ALSO PART OF YOUR FINAL PROJECT. REFER TO THE WEEK 1 PROJECT AREA FOR DETAILS ON THE TYPE OF COMMUNITY TO SELECT.
The assignment: (5–7 pages)
EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS PLAN FOR A FICTITIOUS COMMUNITY.
APPLICATION ASSIGNMENT MUST FOCUS ON A FICTITIOUS COMMUNITY. IN ADDITION, IT MUST BE A PLAN, NOT A HISTORY.
- Briefly describe the community in which you live.
- Explain what emergency mitigation strategies have been or might be deployed in your community.
- Describe two potential funding sources related to emergency mitigation strategies in your community.
- For each potential funding source you selected, describe the key participants and stakeholders and the goals and objectives of the mitigation strategies as they relate to finance and budgeting.
- Explain why you think the funding sources you identified are the most appropriate for the mitigation efforts you identified.
- Explain at least two key challenges to accessing funding for emergency mitigation strategies in your community, and explain at least one strategy to address each challenge.
Assignment should be 1,000 to 1,100 (5 to 7 pages) words with at least seven references…. MULTIPLE USE OF INTEXT CITATION AND PAGE NUMBER…TRY TO USE THE ASSIGNMENT READINGS IF POSSIBLE.
It is important that you cover all the topics identified in the assignment. Covering the topic does not mean mentioning the topic BUT presenting an explanation from the context of ethics and the readings for this class
To get maximum points you need to follow the requirements listed for this assignments 1) look at the page limits 2) review and follow APA rules 3) create subheadings to identify the key sections you are presenting and 4) Free from typographical and sentence construction errors.
REMEMBER IN APA FORMAT JOURNAL TITLES AND VOLUME NUMBERS ARE ITALICIZED.
- Haddow, G. D., Bullock, J. A., & Coppola, D. P. (2014). Introduction to emergency management (5th ed.). Waltham, MA: Butterworth-Heinemann.
- Chapter 3, “The Disciplines of Emergency Management: Mitigation”
- Lindsay, B. R., & Murray, J., (2010, January 26). Disaster relief funding and emergency supplemental appropriations: R40708. Congressional Research Service: Report, 1–28.
- Homeland Security Foundation of America (HSF). (2008, May 30). FEMA—Hazard mitigation planning [Video file]. Retrieved from
Hazard Mitigation Planning. [Video]. 2008. The Homeland Security Foundation of America (HSFA).