Ashford 6: – Week 5 – Final Paper
The summative assessment for this course is a Final Paper that is due in WeekFive. For your Final Paper, you must demonstrate an understanding of atopic in psychology beyond the information presented in the coursetextbook. Incorporate material from across the course, by describing andapplying psychology knowledge as you integrate new research findings, into acohesive and well-written paper. This learning activity will facilitatethe development of research techniques, critical thinking, and writing skillsthat are necessary to be successful in the field of psychology. You mayinclude personal experiences as examples to explain concepts and inform youraudience.
You will have already selected a research topic from the list below in WeekThree of the course. You must continue to use your selected topic. The topics include:
- Is corporal punishment needed to discipline children?
To begin, research the chosen topic using scholarly resources and craft athesis statement regarding your selected topic. For assistance withcreating a thesis statement, visit the Ashford Writing Center or the AshfordUniversity Library. Your Final Paper must contain at least fivereferences from scholarly sources that were published within the last fiveyears and are cited according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford WritingCenter. Examples of scholarly sources include: peer reviewed journalarticles, research studies, professional websites with authored material, andgovernment websites. Popular internet sites (Wikipedia, Newsweek, NewYork Times, etc.) are not considered scholarly sources.
Then, address the following criteria as you write your Final Paper:
- Include a well-written introduction with a succinct thesisstatement and a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
- Integrate research findings that address the selectedtopic.
- Discuss the key issues and controversies surroundingyour selected topic.
- Discuss multiple perspectives on the selected topic, sothat the discussion is balanced and not one-sided.
- Include a summary and analysis of the findings from theresearch.
- Include any additional research that could be done inthe future, and provide solutions that could be implemented in the presentregarding your selected topic.
- Consider the cognitive and behavioral implicationsmight play a role in your selected topic. What learning principlescould factor into the topic? What theories of motivation andpersonality could influence your insights into the topic?
Writing the Final Paper
The Final Paper:
- Must be eight to ten double-spaced pages in length(excluding title and references pages), and formatted according to APAstyle as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has asuccinct thesis statement.
- Must address the topic of the paper with criticalthought.
- Must end with a conclusion that summarizes yourresearch and reaffirms your thesis.
- Must use at least five scholarly sources.
- Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined inthe Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate reference page, formattedaccording to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be usedto evaluate your assignment.