Probability Theory and Statistics
- Your monthly electricity bill consists of a $20 service charge, plus $0.08 per kWh (kilowatt-hour) used. Suppose the number of kWh used per month is W = 800 + 10X , where X ∼ Binomial(40,0.5). Calculate: (a) E[C], the expected monthly cost of your electricity. (b) The standard deviation of C.
(c) The probability P(C = E[C]).
- Imagine that, before a measurement of some (discrete) random variable X you are asked to guess the result. What should you choose? One strategy is to choose a number ν that is somehow “closest” to the most likely results of the measurement. Specifically, let the mean squared error be: ε=E[(X−ν)2]
Explain the name and meaning of this quantity. Find the minimum of ε as a function of ν, by calculating the derivative dε/dν and setting it equal to zero. What is the significance of your result?
- Let X ∼ Geometric(1/2). Derive a (simple!) formula for the CDF of X, and plot your result.
- The CDF of the continuous random variable V is 0 v<−5 FV(v)= c(v+5)2 −5≤v<5
(a) Determine the value of the constant c required to make this CDF continuous. (b) What is P(V > 4)?
(c) What is fV (v)?
Get Your Custom Essay Written From Scratch
We have worked on a similar problem. If you need help click order now button and submit your assignment instructions.Get Answer Over WhatsApp Order Paper Now
Just from $13/Page
5. The Rayleigh random variable X has a parameter a > 0, and PDF a2xe−a2x2/2 x≥0
fX(x)= 0 otherwise Prove that this PDF is normalized, and calculate the CDF of X.
Needs help with similar assignment?
We are available 24x7 to deliver the best services and assignment ready within 3-4 hours? Order a custom-written, plagiarism-free paperGet Answer Over WhatsApp Order Paper Now