Week 3 Assignment
Problem Set 3 Instructor’s Notes:
There are nine questions (1-1 to 1-6 and 2-1 to 2-3) All can be answered using the tables in Appendix B.
Seventy percent of the students applying to a university are accepted. Using the binomial probability tables or Excel, what is the probability that among the next 18 applicants:
- At least 6 will be accepted?
- Exactly 10 will be accepted?
- Exactly 5 will be rejected?
- Fifteen or more will be accepted?
- Determine the expected number of acceptances.
- Compute the standard deviation.
Scores on a recent national statistics exam were normally distributed with a mean of 80 and a standard deviation of 6.
- What is the probability that a randomly selected exam will have a score of at least 71?
- What percentage of exams will have scores between 89 and 92?
- If the top 2.5% of test scores receive merit awards, what is the lowest score eligible for an award?